(The News – Week 15)
[I'm going away this weekend, so please excuse today's brevity/format!]
Alright, we’re still not quite halfway through the Serie A season, but we’re getting there. Of course, that means we’re terribly close to the January transfer window, and as a result, rumors are flying all over the place. There’s a ton of news (both real and speculative), and I’m going to do what I can to pluck out some of the more interesting (or alarming) pieces. Here goes:
- A while ago, I posted something about a well-known German being considered by Juve. Now, it appears as though Juve may be considering an equally well-known Englishman. Interestingly enough, both are from Chel$ea. The Channel 4 article claims that “just” £700K is stalling negotiations. Just? Am I the only one that thinks that’s a lot of money? Tuttosport seems to think it’s basically a done deal, money aside.
- Boy… it seems that Milan want somebody… anybody from Barcelona. First they’re talking about Zambrotta, then they’re talking about Ronaldinho, then they’re talking about both. Now Eto’s name is being thrown into the pot. My question is, what the hell will Barcelona want in return? I haven’t read a thing on that. *cough*GiveThemRonaldoForFree*cough*
- This next one is being filed under “F’n alarming.” Lippi is being linked to the vacant England coaching position, and Corriere Della Sera is stating that he’s already “said yes.” In the past, Lippi has shunned talk of a trip to England, stating that it would be impractical due to the language barrier. Here though, it seems like he’s wanted badly. I mean… Mourinho and Capello visited the FA, but the FA is sending a guy out to Lippi. Please, England… with all due respect, kindly look within your own borders.
- This isn’t a transfer rumor [collective sigh of relief], but I found it interesting: Quagliarella says he’s not going to celebrate if he scores in this weekend’s Udinese v. Sampdoria match. I think it’s a fair gesture, but it’s also easier said than done.
- OK. This last one has slid under the radar of plenty of news outlets… either that, or they just don’t care: Real Madrid wants Mutu and Vucinic. It sounds to me that Roma aren’t in too much danger of losing Vuci; Lecce and Roma co-own him, and Lecce is being pretty good about warning big-brother Roma about Real’s prying eyes. Mutu, on the other hand… 17M plus Diarra? Hmmm…